Connect with us

News

Oakland Protests Verdict in Philando Castile Death

Published

on

A subdued crowd of about 200 people gathered in front of Oakland’s City Hall to protest last Friday’s verdict in the case of the policeman who killed Philando Castile in a traffic stop in St. Anthony, Minn., in July of last year.
Oakland’s impromptu rally, held last Saturday evening, was one of many held across the nation after the acquittal of Officer Jeronimo Yanez.

Captured on video and broadcast live on Facebook by his girlfriend, Diamond Reynolds, Castile’s death shocked the nation, occurring just one day after Alton Sterling died at the hands of police in Baton Rouge, La.

The public outcry in 2016 included Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton and led to the rare arrest of Yanez, who shot Castile even as he was complying with Yanez’ request to show his license.

It seemed, at the time, that for once a Black life would matter.

That it didn’t was all too much for 16-year-old Lucy Siale. Unable to accept that Oakland did not appear to be rallying behind the Castile family in particular and Black Lives in general, Siale took things into her own hands.

From behind the closed door of her Walnut Creek bedroom, Siale, a Tongan student at North Gate High School, mounted the call for the rally on Facebook even while her parents inquired what she was doing.  Carrying signs that read “Black Lives Matter,” the mostly white crowd began to chant that slogan while they waited to see who was organizing thee protest.  Dressed in rolled-cuffed jeans and T-shirt, a red bandana tied over hair braided in two long plaits, Siale stepped up like she had been leading protests all of her life.

After leading call-and-response cheers, Siale smoothly outlined the program for the evening.  “We have to fight with and for Black people,” Siale said and exhorted the crowd to remember that Black people have been at the forefront of resistance in the United States for hundreds of years and deserve much more respect than they get.

To prove her point, she told the crowd that the primary people who would be speaking to them that night were to be Black: even the non-black people of color were asked to fall back. After a long pause, Oakland native Jena Terry took the stage.

“If you wonder why nobody came up right away, it’s because we’re tired,” she said. “We’ve been talking. Nobody’s been listening.”

Lucy Siale, a Tongan resident of Walnut Creek, led the rally in front of Oakland’s City Hall on Saturday, June 17. Photos by Tobaji Stewart.

San Leandro nurse Leslie Silket, who turned down a shift to come to the rally, said sacrifice is necessary to support the mothers who had no choice in becoming part of this “club.”

“I am here because Philando’s mom compelled me to be here,” Silket said, recounting that her 18-year-old son’s new habit of putting his license on the dashboard of the car so he doesn’t have to reach in his wallet in case he is stopped by police.
“Everybody can do something. Write a check, buy a latte for a homeless person.”

Gilda Baker became a member of that club in 2005 when her son, Diallo, was killed in a hit-and-run motorcycle accident with the CHP.

“I have been carrying this pain for 12 years,” Baker said. “When they say ‘angry Black woman’ you damn right. When they say ‘strong Black woman’ you damn right.”

Young pastor Leon Scoggins of The Life Church at the DeFremery Recreation Center said, “God is not pleased with police terror,” and that the community should not have to face that battle by itself and the church should be more involved.
Siale asked for nine Black people to come to the dais, where she distributed candles for them to hold. Requesting a moment of silence to think of the lives lost, “the Black lives that should still be here,” Siale then asked the non-Black members of the crowd to do more than lip service to the pain of Black people.

“Provide them with resources, but most of all give them something they can’t touch. Give them love. They deserve it. Now, raise your fists.”
Siale waited until the fists were up and called out one last time: “Black Lives Matter.”

Activism

Oakland Post: Week of August 12 – 18, 2026

The printed Weekly Edition of the Oakland Post: Week of August 12 – 18, 2026

Published

on

To enlarge your view of this issue, use the slider, magnifying glass icon or full page icon in the lower right corner of the browser window.

Continue Reading

Business

Car Wash Workers Cope with Lingering Impacts of ICE Raids

WAVE COMMUNITY NEWSPAPERS — Hundreds of car wash workers across Southern California have been detained in federal immigration raids, leaving lingering impacts on families and communities. Mario, a 33-year U.S. resident and father of three, was arrested at a Santa Ana car wash last August and held for two months.

Published

on

Photo: iStockphoto / NNPA.

LOS ANGELES — Mario relied on his job in the car wash industry to raise his three children. It was during a shift at a Santa Ana car wash last August that he was arrested by federal agents, taken to a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement detention center and held for two months.

“They made me sleep on the cold floor for a week without a blanket, a toothbrush or basic medical care for the injured man next to me,” Mario, a 33-year resident of the United States, said at a news conference earlier this summer at Inglewood’s Crenshaw Imperial Car Wash, which is now closed after being raided by federal agents.

Mario, who is being identified only by his first name for safety reasons, is among hundreds of car wash workers detained across Southern California in the year since the Trump administration began an aggressive immigration crackdown in the region, according to the CLEAN Carwash Worker Center.

News of raids by masked agents has faded from the headlines, but the effects still linger for those caught in the crosshairs. Family members have been deported or left to languish in detention, and many who remain live with the fear of being hunted down by immigration officers.

At least 373 car wash workers have been detained at car washes across Southern California since the raids began last summer, according to figures compiled by CLEAN. The group’s data also shows federal agents raided or attempted to raid at least 106 car washes in communities across Los Angeles, Orange County and surrounding areas, including Inglewood, Culver City, Westchester, Bell and Whittier.

CLEAN, an advocacy group founded in 2007, has been fighting to protect car wash workers from exploitation and unsafe conditions. When the raids began last year, the group sprang into action, working around the clock to help detained workers and provide their families with legal and financial support.

“We gathered our information from workers, managers, and owners of the car washes that were being raided,” CLEAN Deputy Director Andrea Gonzalez said. “We also gathered information from rapid response teams who were on the ground responding to the raids.”

The Department of Homeland Security did not respond to a request for comment on the group’s findings.

Mario said he was one of seven workers at the Harbor Blvd Car Wash detained on the same day last August, but the only one who has been released. He said he refused to sign deportation papers and is fighting to stay in the United States, a process that has drained his family emotionally and financially.

“Being released is not the same as being free,” he said.

During Mario’s detention at the Adelanto ICE Processing Center, his wife and children struggled to cope with his sudden absence while fighting for his release, his wife Alejandra said.

“The employer gave us a video showing my husband being taken away under arrest, treated worse than a common criminal, with chains binding his legs, arms and waist,” Alejandra said. “It wasn’t right.”

The experience of a car wash worker named José was recounted at the news conference by the Rev. Andy Schwiebert of Immanuel Presbyterian Church in Los Angeles, who said agents “took him” from the La Cienega Car Wash last August.

José’s wife is a U.S. citizen, Schwiebert said, and José had a pathway to gaining citizenship before he was detained. By the time a judge ordered his release on bond, the car wash had shut down, Schwiebert said, leaving José without a job.

“These raids did not just target workers; they destabilized families, congregations, workplaces and entire communities,” Schwiebert said.

The administration’s aggressive enforcement operations have continued across the nation in the months since José’s and Mario’s detention, with ICE arrests in July surging to their highest rate so far under President Donald Trump.

Last month, ICE agents shot and killed Lorenzo Salgado Araujo, a 52-year-old father of three in Houston. Less than a week later, an immigration officer fatally shot 26-year-old Johan Sebastián Duran Guerrero in Biddeford, Maine.

Back in Inglewood, Mario said he was grateful to share his story and that, even though he was released, his experience in detention stays with him.

“I still feel frustrated and traumatized,” Mario said, “because my life is no longer the same as it used to be.”

Ernesto Ureño is a Loyola Marymount University journalism major and intern at Capital & Main, a nonprofit publication focused on inequality. It is published here with permission.

Based on reporting by Wave Community Newspapers.



Continue Reading

Art

Misty Copeland Shapes Ballet’s Tomorrow

THE POSITIVE COMMUNITY — Misty Copeland will curate the 2026 Joyce Ballet Festival, a two-week event in New York City from August 4-16. This role allows her to influence the future of ballet by showcasing a wide range of dancers, choreographers, and companies. The festival will present both established and contemporary works, blending classical traditions with new artistic expressions.

Published

on

Misty Copeland at the 2026 Met Gala, wearing fashion in theme of "Costume Art" Date 4 May 2026, 19:39:21

This summer, Misty Copeland will step into a different kind of spotlight. Instead of taking center stage as a dancer, she will help determine what audiences see onstage as curator of the 2026 Joyce Ballet Festival. Taking place August 4 through August 16 at The Joyce Theater in New York City, the two-week celebration will bring together dancers, choreographers and companies representing a broad spectrum of ballet. The festival gives Copeland an opportunity to share not only her appreciation for ballet’s traditions, but also her vision for its future.

Copeland understands better than most how powerful a ballet stage can be. Her historic career with American Ballet Theatre changed the conversation about representation in one of the world’s most traditional performing arts. When she became the company’s first Black woman to reach the rank of principal dancer, her achievement carried significance far beyond a personal milestone. It gave young dancers of color a new image of what was possible and challenged the industry to reconsider who belonged at the center of ballet.

That history informs the perspective she brings to the festival. Copeland has spent much of her career moving between performance, mentorship, advocacy and storytelling. Her curatorial role allows her to bring those interests together by creating a program that does not treat ballet as a museum piece. Instead, the festival presents dance as an evolving language capable of carrying classical traditions into new cultural and artistic territory.

Audiences will encounter a mixture of established works and contemporary creations during the festival. Classical ballet vocabulary will share space with choreography that pushes dancers toward different physical, emotional and theatrical possibilities. The result is intended to give audiences a broader understanding of the art form while demonstrating that tradition and innovation do not have to be competing forces.

The lineup also provides an opportunity to see dancers from different artistic environments. Performers connected to organizations including American Ballet Theatre, New York City Ballet, Paris Opera Ballet, Houston Ballet, Dance Theatre of Harlem and Complexions Contemporary Ballet are among those represented in the festival. Each company carries its own history and artistic identity, making their participation part of a larger conversation about the many ways ballet can be performed and interpreted.

The presence of Dance Theatre of Harlem is particularly meaningful within the larger story of Copeland’s career and the evolution of Black representation in ballet. Founded during a period when opportunities for Black dancers were severely limited, the company helped demonstrate that excellence and classical training could flourish in a Black cultural environment. Its legacy continues to influence dancers and audiences, making its connection to a festival curated by Copeland especially resonant.

The program also reaches beyond a single definition of contemporary ballet. Choreographers with different backgrounds and artistic philosophies contribute to an evening that can move from recognizable classical structures to works shaped by modern dance, theater, popular culture and new approaches to movement. That diversity reflects a generation of artists who increasingly see ballet not as a rigid vocabulary but as a foundation from which they can explore.

For New York audiences, the festival offers something that is increasingly valuable: the opportunity to experience outstanding dancers in an intimate setting. The Joyce is known for presenting dance in a theater where audiences can see movement and artistry up close. That environment can make a familiar ballet work feel newly personal while allowing experimental pieces to communicate with unusual immediacy.

Copeland’s role as curator also sends a message about the importance of artistic leadership. The people who select performers and choreography help determine which stories receive attention and which artists receive opportunities. By bringing a range of voices into the festival, Copeland is using that responsibility to broaden the conversation around ballet. Her choices can introduce audiences to artists they may not otherwise encounter while encouraging longtime ballet followers to look at the form from a different perspective.

The 2026 Joyce Ballet Festival ultimately arrives at an important moment for the art form. Ballet is carrying centuries of tradition into an era defined by changing audiences, broader representation and increasingly adventurous choreography. Copeland’s festival reflects that transition. For two weeks in August, The Joyce will become a meeting place for the familiar and the unexpected—a celebration of where ballet came from and a preview of where it may be going. And with Misty Copeland helping shape the conversation, the future of ballet promises to be as expansive as the dancers who are defining it.

Based on reporting by The Positive Community.



Continue Reading

Subscribe to receive news and updates from the Oakland Post

* indicates required

CHECK OUT THE LATEST ISSUE OF THE OAKLAND POST

ADVERTISEMENT

WORK FROM HOME

Home-based business with potential monthly income of $10K+ per month. A proven training system and website provided to maximize business effectiveness. Perfect job to earn side and primary income. Contact Lynne for more details: Lynne4npusa@gmail.com 800-334-0540

Facebook

California Secretary of State Shirley N. Weber issued a statement confirming that her office is reviewing claims made by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security regarding the state’s efforts to prevent election fraud. CBM photo by Antonio Ray Harvey.
Featured1 week ago

Department of Homeland Security Demands California Secretary of State Shirley N. Weber Scrub Voter Rolls

Staff and family members of patients at UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital Oakland in Oakland, Calif., hold signs during a rally on Thursday, July 9, 2026. Rally participants protested the relocation of specialized care clinics to the hospital's San Francisco campus. Photo by Kayla Chan/Bay City News.
Business3 weeks ago

Oakland Children’s Hospital Workers and Patients Rally for Pediatric Medical Care

#NNPA BlackPress3 weeks ago

New Judge Could Decide if Karmelo Anthony Gets a New Trial

Gov. Gavin Newsom speaks during a July 21 presentation at McClellan Park highlighting California’s investments in advanced firefighting technology and wildfire prevention tools. CBM photo by Antonio Ray Harvey.
Environment1 week ago

“The Power to See Threats Sooner”: Gov. Newsom, Safety Officials Showcase California’s Investments in Hi-Tech Wildfire Prevention

Dr. Tonja L. Ringgold, an educator and Life Member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated® (AKA), was installed as North Atlantic Regional Director during the organization’s 72nd Biennial International Convention on July 23 in Las Vegas.
Black History2 weeks ago

Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. Celebrates New North Atlantic Regional Director

iStock.
Business3 weeks ago

Surveillance Pricing Fight: State Senate Debates Bill Banning Retailers from Using AI to Set Prices Based on a Buyer’s Profile

Pastor Michael Wallace of Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church (center) and David Kimball, president of the Oakland Stake of the LDS church listen to remarks before volunteers began their work. “We are grateful to partner with these organizations to help care for those in need in our community,” Kimball later told the assembled volunteers. Courtesy photo.
Business3 weeks ago

Mount Zion MBC, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Partner to Bring 29,000 Meals to Alameda County

Justices of the United States Supreme Court. Courtesy of Supreme Court of the United States.
Featured1 week ago

California Sen. Padilla Joins Colleagues to Introduce Bill Imposing Term Limits on Supreme Court Justices

First Vice President of Sacramento City Unified School District Taylor Kayatta and family. Courtesy photo.
Community3 days ago

Less Affluent School Districts, Including Sacramento City, Face Threat of State Takeover

iStock.
Business3 weeks ago

Starting This Summer, California Car Buyers Can Get an Instant $3500 Off the Cost of Electric Vehicles

#NNPA BlackPress3 weeks ago

COMMENTARY: You Are Already Paying for the AI Boom

Photo: iStockphoto / NNPA.
Business1 week ago

Car Wash Workers Cope with Lingering Impacts of ICE Raids

#NNPA BlackPress3 weeks ago

California Bill Would Let Abuse Victims Use Trauma as Legal Defense for Violent Crime

Black History3 weeks ago

Fed Court to Decide Landmark First Amendment Case

From left to right: Jesse Arreguín, Gov. Gavin Newsom, Sharon Quirk Silva, Oakland Mayor Barbara Lee, and Janelle Chan. Photo courtesy Sarah Henry.
Business4 weeks ago

Gov. Gavin Newsom Signs Law Streamlining Affordable Housing Rules

Trending

Copyright ©2021 Post News Group, Inc. All Rights Reserved.