Connect with us

California Black Media

Sen. Bradford Responds to Deputy-Involved Killing of Unarmed Black Woman

After seeing a video of a deputy-involved shooting death of an unarmed Black woman in Illinois last week, the vice chair of the California Legislative Black Caucus (CLBC) Sen. Steven Bradford (D-Inglewood) stated that he sees “no appropriate justification for this deputy’s actions.” Sonya Massey, 37, was shot in the face by a Sangamon County Sheriff’s deputy after she called 911 to report a prowler. The deputy who shot Massey reportedly worked for six different law enforcement agencies in four years and had two Drinking Under the Influence (DUI) charges.

Published

on

Facebook Screenshot of Sonya Massey.

By Bo Tefu

California Black Media

 After seeing a video of a deputy-involved shooting death of an unarmed Black woman in Illinois last week, the vice chair of the California Legislative Black Caucus (CLBC) Sen. Steven Bradford (D-Inglewood) stated that he sees “no appropriate justification for this deputy’s actions.”

Sonya Massey, 37, was shot in the face by a Sangamon County Sheriff’s deputy after she called 911 to report a prowler. The deputy who shot Massey reportedly worked for six different law enforcement agencies in four years and had two Drinking Under the Influence (DUI) charges.

“[Senate Bill] 2 created a process for peace officers who violate the public trust to be decertified. This law has already protected the public from at least 80 now-former officers who will never again wear a badge in California,” said Bradford viewing the incident within the context of California law.

“Strong police accountability laws increase the public’s trust in our law enforcement by removing those individuals whose actions erode that trust,” he added.

Bradford said The Sangamon County, Illinois, case is an “inexcusable tragedy.”

“After looking at the video of the shooting and reading about the case, I see no appropriate justification for this deputy’s actions,” Bradford said in a July 24 statement to California Black Media. “The death of Sonya Massey should never have happened.”

Bradford wrote SB 2, ​​the Kenneth Ross Jr. Police Decertification Act of 2021. It created a statewide process to revoke the certification of a peace officer following the conviction of serious crimes or termination from employment due to misconduct.

SB 2 was signed into law on Sept. 30, 2021, by Gov. Gavin Newsom.

The California bill has no bearing on the case in Illinois, but it puts the spotlight on how rogue cops can move from one jurisdiction to another and land a job. The deputy in Illinois was charged with first-degree murder.

Thus far, SB 2 is effective, Bradford stated.

Activism

Oakland Post: Week of February 11 = 17, 2026

The printed Weekly Edition of the Oakland Post: Week of – February 11 – 17, 2026

Published

on

To enlarge your view of this issue, use the slider, magnifying glass icon or full page icon in the lower right corner of the browser window.

Continue Reading

Bo Tefu

Trump’s White House Pushes to Control California Wildfire Recovery

The executive order signed Jan. 27 by President Donald Trump directs federal agencies to explore regulations that could override California and municipal permitting rules for homes and other structures destroyed in the fires. Land-use and rebuilding permits have traditionally been handled by cities and counties, making the move an unprecedented federal intervention into disaster recovery.

Published

on

iStock.
iStock.

By Bo Tefu, California Black Media

The White House is moving to take control of wildfire recovery efforts in the Los Angeles County area, issuing an executive order that would shift rebuilding permit authority from state and local governments to the federal government following the January 2025 Palisades and Eaton fires.

The executive order signed Jan. 27 by President Donald Trump directs federal agencies to explore regulations that could override California and municipal permitting rules for homes and other structures destroyed in the fires. Land-use and rebuilding permits have traditionally been handled by cities and counties, making the move an unprecedented federal intervention into disaster recovery.

“I want to see if we can take over the city and state and just give the people their permits they want to build,” Trump told the media when signing the order.

The Palisades and Eaton fires destroyed about 16,000 homes, businesses, and other structures across Pacific Palisades, Altadena, and surrounding areas. According to local data, roughly 4,700 applications to rebuild have been submitted, with about 2,000 approved so far. Officials say the pace of rebuilding is consistent with recovery timelines from other major wildfires in California, where reconstruction often takes several years.

Gov. Gavin Newsom and Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass quickly condemned the order, stating that it is unnecessary and legally questionable. Disaster recovery experts echoed those concerns, pointing to constitutional limits on federal authority over land-use decisions.

Trump’s order calls on the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Small Business Administration to consider allowing builders to self-certify compliance with health and safety regulations to receive federal approval.

The dispute has become another flashpoint in the ongoing political battle between Trump and Newsom. The governor has requested $33 billion in federal disaster aid that has not yet been approved, while survivors continue to face challenges related to insurance payouts, high rebuilding costs, and legal disputes tied to the cause of the fires.

“Instead of finally sending to Congress the federal relief Los Angeles needs to rebuild from last year’s firestorms, Donald Trump continues to live in fantasy land,” Newsom wrote on X.

Bass said the White House could speed recovery by approving disaster aid and pushing insurers and lenders to support affected residents.

Trump’s order calls for draft regulations within 30 days and final rules within 90 days.

Continue Reading

Bo Tefu

Gov. Newsom, AG Bonta to Local Law Enforcement: You Have Authority to Investigate Federal Agents

The guidance, released by the California Department of Justice (DOJ), emphasizes that local and state police have concurrent jurisdiction in cases involving federal officers and are not required to defer to federal investigations. The bulletin follows recent federal officer-involved shooting deaths in Minnesota and California.

Published

on

iStock.
iStock.

By Bo Tefu, California Black Media

Gov. Gavin Newsom and California Attorney General Rob Bonta issued a bulletin Jan. 27 reminding state and local law enforcement agencies that they have the authority to investigate potential violations of state law committed by federal agents, even when federal authorities do not cooperate.

The guidance, released by the California Department of Justice (DOJ), emphasizes that local and state police have concurrent jurisdiction in cases involving federal officers and are not required to defer to federal investigations. The bulletin follows recent federal officer-involved shooting deaths in Minnesota and California.

The bulletin states that federal and state law enforcement have long worked together on investigations that can result in both federal and state charges, but recent actions by the federal government have raised concerns about obstruction and a lack of transparency. California officials say those developments require state and local agencies to be prepared to assert their legal authority.

“Especially when a fatal shooting occurs, no one should be allowed to rush in, seize evidence, and control the narrative before state and local law enforcement have lawful access,” said Newsom. “Transparency isn’t a talking point; it’s a legal and moral requirement.”

Bonta said federal agents do not have absolute immunity from state criminal prosecution and warned against claims suggesting otherwise.

“Let there be no question: State and local law enforcement in California have authority to investigate potential violations of state law, even when those violations are committed by federal agents,” said Bonta. “Federal courts have long recognized that federal agents do not have absolute immunity from state law prosecution.”

The bulletin advises agencies that states have primary authority to investigate and prosecute violations of state criminal law, including cases involving federal officers. It also notes that the California DOJ is available to assist local agencies and can seek court orders to preserve evidence or secure access to crime scenes if needed.

California officials pointed to a Minnesota case in which a Trump-appointed federal judge ordered the federal government not to destroy evidence amid allegations that federal authorities interfered with a state investigation into a fatal shooting involving a federal officer.

The move comes amid broader legal battles between California and the Trump administration over federal law enforcement practices. In recent months, Bonta has led or joined court filings challenging federal deployments and enforcement actions, while Newsom has opposed what state leaders describe as unlawful federal overreach.

The DOJ encouraged Californians to report alleged misconduct by federal agents through its online reporting portal, saying the state stands ready to investigate and, where warranted, pursue charges under the California Penal Code.

Continue Reading

Subscribe to receive news and updates from the Oakland Post

* indicates required

CHECK OUT THE LATEST ISSUE OF THE OAKLAND POST

ADVERTISEMENT

WORK FROM HOME

Home-based business with potential monthly income of $10K+ per month. A proven training system and website provided to maximize business effectiveness. Perfect job to earn side and primary income. Contact Lynne for more details: Lynne4npusa@gmail.com 800-334-0540

Facebook

Trending

Copyright ©2021 Post News Group, Inc. All Rights Reserved.