Office of Cable Television of Film Music and Entertainment (OCTFME) Director Angie M. Gates is helping lead the celebration of events in the city throughout the month to recognize and amplify the city’s growing creative achievements and culture.
“What we’ve realized with 202Creates when it started in 2016, is [that] a month is not enough time to contain everything that we need to do as far as the creatives– but to dedicate an entire month to the creative community has been key,” Gates said. “As you know, D.C. is a very culturally diverse community and I think that at the end of the day, it’s just going to continue to grow even more — become more engaged. I think this gives the creatives the opportunity to share their talents.”
202Creates has reached many achievements throughout the years, including being deemed one of the top 40 most vibrant arts communities in America, according to the 2018 NCAR Arts Vibrancy Index.
202Creates also offers many resources for creatives and entrepreneurs including office space, a podcast studio, a photography studio a residency program and more, according to its website.
Check out some of the events that are open to the public during 202Creates Month below:
Aug. 29 – 202Creates Month Kickoff Event at Eaton Hotel, 6 p.m.-10 p.m.
- Aug. 31 – Sept. 1 – Labor Day Weekend Music Festival at the Lincoln Theatre, 7 p.m. -10 p.m.
- Sept. 7 – La Cosecha Presents: Calle Latina at Union Market at Union Market, 11 a.m.-7 pm.
- Sept. 7 – Sept. 22 – The REACH Opening Festival at the Kennedy Center
- Sept. 9 – Sept. 13 – DC Startup Week at Metro DC, 8 a.m.- 8 p.m.
- Sept. 14 – Art All Night, various locations, 7 pm. – Midnight
- Sept. 19 – OCTFME celebrates second anniversary of radio station at Union District Oyster Bar and Lounge, 6 p.m.-9 pm.
- Sept. 21 – Fiesta DC Parade on Constitution Ave, 1 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Sept. 22 – Fiesta DC Festival on 7th Street NW 11 a.m.-7 p.m.
- Sept. 23- Sept. 29 – March on Washington Film Festival
- Sept. 28 – The Sound of Family and Fun Festival at 2240 Martin Luther King Ave, SE, 12 p.m. – 4 p.m.
- Sept. 28 – Closing Event, Busboys and Poets (Anacostia Area), 6-10 p.m.
To learn more visit http://www.202creates.com.