By Bo Tefu, California Black Media
Gov. Gavin Newsom promised to take away state funding from cities and counties that delay implementing an executive order to clear out homeless encampments statewide and relocate occupants to shelters.
Last week, the California Department of Transportation (CalTrans) worked with Newsom to clear several encampments in the Los Angeles area.
“I want to see results,” said Newsom at a press conference on Aug. 8.
“I don’t want to read about them. I don’t want to see the data. I want to see it,” he said.
Gov. Newsom pressured local governments to clear homeless encampments in an executive order he issued last month.
Newsom’s decision came after the United States Supreme Court overturned a decision by a lower court ruling that governments are not allowed to force people to leave encampments without shelter beds available.
Over the last five years, California has spent approximately $24 billion to clear the streets and house people. The state has also invested $3.2 billion in grant funding for local governments to build shelters, clear encampments, and provide services to homeless people.
The Newsom administration has pulled back a $10 million grant to San Diego to build small homes because the county is delaying clearing out encampments.
However, the California State Association of Counties, representing all 58 counties, stated that it will continue to work with Gov. Newsom.